A dragons’ den-style competition at Farnborough College of Technology is investing £ 20,000 in student-run businesses as part of the college’s ongoing support for young entrepreneurs.
Students from the college and its university center had the opportunity to compete for an investment towards their business ventures, whether already launched or a brand-new idea.
The first part of the competition required entrants to pitch their proposals one-to-one to a carousel of business professionals with just five minutes to impress each judge.
Five entrants were shortlisted for the finals, this time pitching their ideas to a group of business-savvy ‘dragons’.
The panel included principal CEO of Farnborough College of Technology, Virginia Barrett, technical manager at 3M and corporation board member for the college, Sarah Chapman, and leader of Rushmoor borough council and business lecturer, David Clifford.
The five businesses below were selected as winners, each receiving an investment from the prize funds:
- Milky Marketing – a digital marketing agency for small micro enterprises, run by business degree students, Holly Hammond and Caitlin Morris.
- Bolster – an app-based home device repair company run by HND computing student Mikya Wilkins.
- eDrinkSupplies – an online energy drink sales business run by Broadcast Media and Film Production degree student, Daniel Bench.
- CleanCatch – a range of sustainable personal hygiene products in the form of tablets for travel and domestic use, created by A-level student, Will Fanthorpe.
- The Gallery Buzz – a business brewing mead using locally-sourced ingredients at affordable prices, run by catering students, Josephine Wright and Toby Parish.
As well as the investment, winners will also receive continued support from the college through advice and access to its range of facilities.
Principal CEO Virginia Barrett said: “We are delighted to be supporting the business leaders of tomorrow, who are innovating to meet 21st-century needs.
“All of this year’s winners should feel very proud of what they have achieved, and we look forward to working with them going forward.”
Click to find out if your region of the country is one of the areas we cover.