While the new PS5 controller is packed full of impressive new features like adaptive triggers and improved haptics, none of those functions are very useful when the DualSense battery is dead and refuses to charge. The PS5 controller not charging issue is becoming more common and, in more extreme cases, users can’t turn the DualSense on at all. If this happens to you, here are the steps to getting the PS5 controller not charging issue fixed.
How to fix the PS5 controller not charging or turning on
To fix a PS5 controller that isn’t charging, users should:
- Make sure the PS5 is on or Rest Mode charging is enabled.
- The PS5 controller can’t charge when the PS5 is fully off.
- Go to Settings> Power Saving> Features Available in Rest Mode, and set Supply Power to USB Ports to “3 hours” or “Always.” This will enable charging when it Rest Mode.
- Use a different USB port.
- If the front USB port is failing to charge your PS5 controller, try the rear on instead, and vice versa.
- Try a different USB-C cable.
- It’s possible that the wire you’re trying to charge your PS5 controller with is no longer working.
- USB cables can be damaged relatively easily, especially if you own pets or have children.
- Change the controller communication method to Bluetooth.
- Go to Settings> Devices> Controllers, and change Communication Method to “Bluetooth.”
- Re-pair the controller.
- Go to Settings> Accessories> General> Bluetooth and delete the controller.
- Pair it again using a USB cable and see if it is now charging.
- Reset the controller.
- Using a small tool, push the small reset button found on the back of the controller.
- Wait 3-5 seconds.
- Reconnect the controller.
- Charge the controller using a wall charger or battery bank.
- It is possible that none of the PS5 ports are providing power to the DualSense controller. Therefore, it’s worth trying a different device to charge it.
If the above steps do not fix the issue, the next step is to reach out to PlayStation Support for further assistance and / or a repair request.
On the hunt for more PlayStation guides? Here’s how to improve PS Plus Game Streaming quality, how to stop the PS5 controller battery from draining so fast, and how to pre-order the new PS5 INZONE headsets.